• Global expert on music for exercise and sport, Dr. Costas Karageorghis,has created scientific workout playlists based on the top 2015 fitness trends, predicted by fitness guru and creator of INSANITY, Shaun T
• Bespoke playlists created to match the top fitness trends include:Tabata, Cardio Dance, Insanity, Gymnastics strength training and CrossFit
Spotify has teamed up with fitness pro and creator of INSANITY, Shaun T,alongside global expert on music for exercise, Dr. Costas Karageorghis, to predict the hottest fitness trends for 2015 – and the perfect soundtrackto get the most out of each and every workout.
With Shaun Ttipping Tabata, Cardio Dance, Insanity, Gymnastics Strength Training, and CrossFit as the top trends for 2015, Dr. Costas has applied a bespoke formula – based on beats per minute (BPM), rhythmic construction, melody and harmony and lyrical content– to each workout to determine the right tracks to keep gym-goers around the globe moving.
Following analysis of over 11 million global workout playlists on Spotify, which saw Meghan Trainor’s All About That Bass named as the most streamed workout song globally, followed by Eminem’s ‘Till I Collapse and Katy Perry’s Dark Horse, Dr. Costas playlists have been compiled to create the ultimate workout partners.
Dr. Costas Karageorghis, Reader in Sport Pschology Brunel University, comments: “A range of musical factors such as the lyrical content, tempo or rhythmic feelcan affect our physical responses, making certain songs more suited as an accompaniment forphysical exercise. I’ve createdSpotify playlists for2015’s hottest workout trends that are optimally matched to help you push your performance to the next level – whether you’re hitting it hard with Tabata or sweating it out with CrossFit.”
Angela Watts, VP of global communications for Spotify, commented: “Combining an analysis of Spotify’s 11 million workout playlists with Shaun T’s 2015 fitness trends and Dr. Costas’ research, we’ve created the 2015 Fitness Trends playlist – so if you’re already flagging, you’ve now got the motivation to stick to your New Year fitness regime!”
Shaun T comments: "In 2015, people will continue to take their workouts to the MAX with more efficient programmes that incorporate HIIT training. Ain’t nobody got time for hours in the gym, nor do they need to. Short, intense workouts such as INSANITY and Tabata style training will dominate."
2015 Fitness Trends and Playlists
INSANITY is an intense, boot camp-type workout designed to push its devotees to their mental and physical limits.
Dr. Costas expands: “This selection of music is structured to give extra staying power and has the highest average tempo of the five fitness trend playlists with astimulating 140 bpm that’s sure to keep the adrenaline flowing. Tracks are selected to contour the participants’ heart rate, with the highpoint reached with Sigma’sChanging, a pumping track at 171 bpm that will keep you revved up to the max.”
1. Sing – Ed Sheeran (BPM of 120)
2. Heroes (We Could Be) – Alesso ft. Tove Lo (BPM of 126)
3. Let’s Go – Calvin Harris ft. Ne Yo (BPM of 128)
4. Lips Are Movin – Meghan Trainor (BPM of 139)
5. Dare (La La La) – Shakira (BPM of 144)
6. Don’t Stop – 5 Seconds of Summer (BPM of 150)
7. American Beauty/American Psycho – Fall Out Boy (BPM of 151)
8. Changing – Sigma ft. Paloma Faith (BPM of 171)
9. Bang Bang – Jessie J, Ariana Grande & Nicki Minaj (BPM of 150)
10. Marilyn Monroe – Pharrell Williams (BPM of 117)
Listen to the Ultimate INSANITY playlist on Spotify
Tabata is a high-intensity, interval-based workout with 20-second periods of all-out effort punctuated by 10-second recovery periods.
Dr. Costas recommends a fast tempo playlist: “This playlist is second only to INSANITY in terms of its intensity, with an impressive average tempo of 118 bpm, and is characterised by powerful lyrical affirmations such as “I don’t ever want to give up” and “I’m stronger than I’ve been before”.
1. Everything Is Everything – Gabriel Garzon-Montano (BPM of 86)
2. Figure It Out – Royal Blood (BPM of 108)
3. Wrapped Up – Olly Murs ft. Travie McCoy (BPM of 122)
4. Won’t Look Back – Duke Dumont (BPM of 124)
5. Time Of Our Lives – Pitbull & Ne-Yo (BPM of 124)
6. The Night Is Still Young – Nicki Minaj (BPM of 128)
7. I Will Never Let You Down – Rita Ora (BPM of 128)
8. Break Free – Ariana Grande ft. Zedd (BPM of 130)
9. All About That Bass – Meghan Trainor (BPM of 134)
10. Sugah Daddy – D’Angelo & The Vanguard (BPM of 93)
Listen to the Ultimate Tabata playlist on Spotify
The imperative for a Cardio Dance playlist is that it sticks to a strong and steady rhythmic flow.
Dr. Costas explains; “The rhythm of the songs is an important part of this playlist: an easily extractable metre(or rhythmic pulse) facilitates the central goal of expressing the music through movement. With an average tempo of 111 bpm, as well as uplifting lyrics, the tracks on this playlist score highly for danceability and are loaded with musical features that promote rhythmic movement.”
1. Fancy – Iggy Azalea ft. Charli XCX (BPM of 95)
2. Boss – Fifth Harmony (BPM of 103)
3. Problem – Ariana Grande (BPM of 103)
4. Uptown Funk – Mark Ronson ft. Bruno Mars (BPM of 115)
5. Crazy Stupid Love – Cheryl Cole ft. TinieTempah (BPM of 120)
6. Right Here – Jess Glynne (BPM of 120)
7. I Loved You – Blonde ft. Melissa Steel (BPM of 123)
8. Fireball Pitball ft. John Ryan (BPM of 124)
9. Real Love – Clean Bandit & Jess Glynne (BPM of 125)
10. I’m Not The Only One – Sam Smith (BPM of 82)
Listen to the Ultimate Cardio Dance playlist on Spotify
Gymnastics Strength Training
Gymnastics strength training draws upon gymnasts’ common training methods into a workout that’s accessible to everyone.
The science here is about mind over matter; “This playlist has a mid-tempo feel with an average of 112 bpm to reflect the slow, steady movements and isometric contractions– i.e. holding a position like an Iron Cross on rings, or a handstand. Music helps to block out the muscular pain associated with this form of exercise and these tracks have strong dissociative qualities – they take your mind off the ache.”
1. Good Kisser – Usher (BPM of 98)
2. Ghost – Ella Henderson (BPM of 105)
3. My Love – Route 94 ft. Jess Glynne (BPM of 120)
4. Come Get It Bae – Pharrell Williams (BPM of 120)
5. Go All Night – Gorgon City ft. Jennifer Hudson (BPM of 121)
6. Pushing On – Oliver $ & Jimi Jules (BPM of 122)
7. Gecko – Oliver Heldens& Becky Hill (BPM of 125)
8. When A Fire Starts To Burn – Disclosure (BPM of 124)
9. Funknroll – Prince (BPM of 98)
10. Stay With Me – Sam Smith (BPM of 85)
Listen to the Ultimate Gymnastics Strength Training playlist on Spotify
CrossFit is a workout ‘melting pot’ that blends elements of powerlifting, Olympic weightlifting, gymnastics and athletics.
The science, explains Dr. Costas, is therefore about creating the perfect backdrop: “Accordingly, the music is not used in a synchronous mode to direct the movement patterns; rather it plays asynchronously (or in the background) to enhance the training environment.The music should not be particularly loud given the internal sense of rhythm and stream of the trainer’s verbal instructions required to master the high-intensity movements involved. This is another mid-tempo playlist (average of 113 bpm) that creates an ideal sonic backdrop.”
1. Don’t – Ed Sheeran (BPM of 96)
2. It’s My Birthday – Will.i.am ft. Cody Wise (BPM of 101)
3. Fun – Pitbull ft. Chris Brown (BPM of 114)
4. Waves – Mr. Probz (BPM of 120)
5. Rather Be – Clean Bandit ft. Jess Glynne (BPM of 121)
6. I Wanna Feel – Second City (BPM of 122)
7. My Head Is A Jungle (MK Remix) – Wankelmut& Emma Louise (BPM of 124)
8. La LaLa – Naughty Boy ft. Sam Smith (BPM of 125)
9. Art Official Cage – Prince (BPM of 130)
10. Thinking Out Loud – Ed Sheeran (BPM of 79)
Listen to the Ultimate CrossFit playlist workout playlist on Spotify.
Hard Rock is celebrating the grand opening of its Cafe in Manila by bringing the brand’s one-of-kind blend of music, entertainment, iconi...
Metrobank bagged three major awards in the recently concluded Asian Banker Transaction Awards Programme 2018Metrobank bagged three major awards in the recently concluded Asian Banker Transaction Awards Programme 2018 held at the China World Hote...
At the Four Seasons Hotel in Hong Kong, the world’s best banks gathered for The Asset Triple A Treasury, Trade, Supply Chain and Risk Mana...