Sunday, May 27, 2018
10 Ways to Keep your Gut Healthy and Happy
The world’s leading1 digestive health products— Essentiale Forte P and Dulcolax— join hands in a campaign to make our digestive systems happier and healthier. Together, the two brands take action on World Digestive Health Day on May 29th, reminding people about the importance of keeping their digestive system happy and healthy.
So how do you keep your gut healthy and happy? Let us count the ways;
1. Junk the junk. Avoid eating processed foods (chips, cold cuts), breads and pastas.
2. Go for gold. Probiotic foods feed the good bacteria in your digestive tract. So what should you go for? A plant-based diet would be good. If not, make sure you have more nuts and seeds in your diet. Check out pistachios, bananas, garlic, onion, wheat, oats, quinoa, millet and chia.
3. Avoid unnecessary drinking of antibiotics. Taking antibiotics may have a negative effect on the bacteria and other microbes living in your intestines. Antibiotics may kill healthy bacteria. Before taking antibiotics, ask your doctor questions about then and do some research. Get a second opinion if possible and don’t self-medicate.
4. Keep your liver in check. Instead of steaks and fried chicken, opt for taking in less fats from your food as these can lead to having too much fat stored in the liver. A fatty liver is a sign of an unhealthy digestive system and will affect your entire health. Keep your liver in check with Essentiale Forte P. It contains essential phospholipids that repair damaged liver cell membrane, regenerate lost phospholipids and restore normal functions of the liver3, keeping your liver healthy for a happy digestive system.
5. Take a good probiotic. Probiotics are micro-organisms that provide health benefits when consumed. Probiotics help with digestion and stimulate the immune system. They rebuild intestinal flora for better digestive health for kids. It also stops diarrhea symptoms and addresses other intestinal issues. Consult your doctor to learn more about the benefits of Probiotics!
1 Nicolas Hall Global OTC Database, DB6, 2016
2 Krisha McCoy medically reviewed by Lynn Grieger RDN, 10 Tips for Better Digestive Health, https://www.everydayhealth.com/digestive-health/tips-for-better-digestive-health/ [accessed May 11, 2018] and James Colquhoun, 7 Habits Harming Your Gut Health, https://www.foodmatters.com/article/7-habits-harming-your-gut-health [accessed May 11, 2018]
3 Gunderman K, Kuenker A, Kuntz E, Drozdzik M. Pharmacological Reports 2011;63:643-659
6. Water is important. Hydration is the key to having a healthy digestive system. Constipation is often the result of dehydration in the colon. Drinking at least 8 16-oz glasses of water a day will ensure that your stool will be soft and easy to pass.
7. Taking a laxative helps. Frequent constipation is a sign that your digestive system is in poor health. If you haven’t moved your bowels in days, don’t just suffer. Dulcolax® stimulates bowel movement and softens hard dry stool to treat constipation and other bowel irregularities. Dulcolax, the world’s No. 1 laxative4, ensures you have a happy tummy ensures that you’ll have a happy tummy in the morning.
8. You’ve got to move it. Regular exercises like brisk walking or running will get things moving, so to speak. Allot at least 10 minutes a day to exercise. Make it 15 mins daily if you can.
9. Chill, don’t stress. Your work life is stressful enough; find time to chill and relax. Don’t bring work home. Find little pockets of relaxation throughout the day. For instance, when it gets to be too much, do some breathing exercises for a few minutes. Stress can affect the health of your digestive system.
10. Get enough sleep. If eight hours of sleep is not doable, make sure you get six hours every night. Lack of sleep can cause gas and poor digestion.
If you build and maintain a healthy and happy digestive system, your quality of life will be better, too. If you skip the bad habits and embrace the good ones, you will have less health issues and a healthier, happier life! Make sure you regularly consult your doctor if you feel any symptoms.
Amid sensational stories that often hog media headlines, it is always reaffirming to know about Filipinos who go the extra mile to cham...
Before going to bed every night. I have these beauty rituals that I inherited from my mother--and even my lola, and one of them is to make s...
Upon learning that Philam Life under Philam Vitality offers a life insurance for two (you and your loved one), the Active Joint Critical...